Monday, October 27, 2008

why i quit my job and got a new one

Assuming there's an outside chance that one of my few diligent readers hasn't heard yet, a couple weeks ago I resigned my position with EMI and accepted a new job with Word Entertainment as their Director of Digital Sales & Marketing.

This is a good thing! (People always ask me that... I tell them I switched jobs and they give me that, 'oh, really?' as though my dog died or something). So I have to sound excited when I say it, because I am excited!

Anyways, after nearly 5 years at EMI, switching companies is a big deal - it was an incredibly hard decision to make, and didn't come easily. I have a ton of great friends at EMI, and not working with them everyday is going to be sad. EMI had become home, just like highschool had become home, and then college. Additionally, I really respect a lot of people at EMI - they have great and supportive leadership, and from the top down some brilliant minds that I have learned a lot from. But now it's onto something new.

So, why did I leave? There are a few reasons...
  • At Word I'll be working for a record label instead of a distribution company. This means instead of working nearly 250 releases in a year, it will be more like 20 - if that. Ideally this means that I'll have the opportunity to create a closer relationship with the artists I work with, and dig deeper into each release - spending the time on each one that they deserve.
  • At Word I'll be working with all digital download, streaming, and mobile accounts. Previously I had 95% of my focus on iTunes, which was necessary, primarily because of the amount of titles I had running through the system. Ideally now I'll be able to dig a little deeper with each one - there's some cool new accounts doing some great things, and I'm excited to have the opportunity to spend some time with them.
  • Word has a different perspective on approaching digital music and internet marketing. Not to say that Word has the 'right' way, and EMI the 'wrong' - it's just different and I need that fresh perspective. Like I said, I'll be working within the label, and they're putting a lot of focus on 360 degree artist deals, direct-to-consumer commerce, and fully integrated internet marketing teams. I'm looking forward to being part of a bigger team, and in a position to have more open discussion with radio, A&R, and so forth.
So that's the brief run down. My last day with EMI was October 8th, and I don't start with Word until November 3rd (which means I've been enjoying the most amazing fall break ever). This is my last week on my own, which I am doing my best to dedicate towards completely refreshing myself. I've been reading some good books, enjoying some good coffee, taking some nice trips, and trying to refrain from anything that reminds me too much of corporate gobbledigook.

1 comment:

Jeff said...

Can't believe it took me this long to figure out you have a blog. Thanks for tweeting this one.