Thursday, September 06, 2007

a new obsession

Ping-Pong. Wow, what a marvelous game! My company made the poor and unwise decision to invest in a ping-pong table for our third floor "commons" area. It is certainly where I have been spending all of my free time lately.

Now, I grew up with a ping-pong table at my house... and I played a fair bit, but generally against my grandparents, so no true advancement in skill was made in my early years. Over the years I've played from time to time, and I've gotten quite a bit better. Now, I am certainly nowhere near the skill level of ping-pong extraordinaire Timmy P (and he truly is quite good). Timmy was in Ping-Pong Scouts - had a uniform that he would wear to school all the time. He had these cute little patches that he would sew to the back of his shirt every time he won a tournament. Then in our junior year he decided he wanted to do both Bowling Club and Ping-Pong Scouts, so his ping-pong game started to suffer a bit..... but I digress....

Anyways, so yeah, I've been playing a lot of ping-pong lately. I'm mastering my different service styles. I've pretty much got my spin under control, and am able to return most spins as well. I need to work on my smash, because that usually goes totally out of control. I've been taking on a variety of different people in the building, and am holding my own pretty well. I'm happy to say I've been teaching Jon the art of the ping-pong and he is coming along quite nicely... though he needs to learn discretion as to when not to return the ball. :)

I want to get an EMI Ping-Pong Tournament going... that's my goal for the fall.

3 comments:

uncle tim said...

you're mean! I didn't have patches!!!!
but I truly am GREAT.

Melissa said...

emi 3rd floor common area? is this a ping pong table in addition to the one in creative?? wow... as funny as that is, and as much as i look forward to coming to visit [october 26th] i'm still kinda happy i dont work there :) well, aside from the fact that now i cant bug you on IM all day.

Melissa said...

emi 3rd floor common area? is this a ping pong table in addition to the one in creative?? wow... as funny as that is, and as much as i look forward to coming to visit [october 26th] i'm still kinda happy i dont work there :) well, aside from the fact that now i cant bug you on IM all day.